All about this website - who's responsible and why I do it.
Why this website?
Our twenty-first century western culture provides many of us with long life expectancy and a high standard of living to enjoy. Why not devote ourselves to maximising our pleasure?
But maybe just pleasing ourselves will not make us as happy as we think? Perhaps life has a higher purpose, that will be more fulfilling to us than living just for ourselves?
The pace and pressures of postmodern life and the nature of postmodern culture leave little time to stop and wonder what it all means. Is there a God? is an attempt to swim against this tide, in the hope that others will join in the discussion and the questions.
So on Is there a God? I attempt to look at the big questions in life. I try to 'research' what I write, and then outline ideas fairly so that you can come to an informed opinion. There are references for further reading.
But of course I have my own views, and these undoubtedly colour my choice of topics and the way they are presented.
Written, designed, coded and © 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by unkleE, with a lot of help.
My name is Eric Hatfield (aka unkleE) and I live in Sydney, Australia. I have worked in environment protection, studied and read widely in theology, New Testament history, philosophy and some areas of science, and have a keen interest in ethics and beliefs in our 21st century culture. I believe in God, try to follow the way of Jesus and prefer to connect with people of different beliefs rather than argue with them.
With thanks to ...
Many of the photographic images are from MorgueFile, some from Flickr Creative Commons. Space images by NASA. Other images are from the US National Science Foundation and other sources credited in the text.
- Blog software by Wordpress, and Responz theme by Themify (with some customising by unkleE - made possible by the good original design).
- Feedback form by thesitewizard.
- Coded using Taco HTML Edit, hosted by Exetel and uploaded using Cyberduck.
- Technical advice: Andrew Hatfield, and the friendly communities at Lussumo Vanilla, MacFormat, Web Developer, HTML Forum, Tizag forums and the helpful staff at Exetel.
- I have been particularly inspired by the beautiful and interesting designs of many web designers, but three stand out: Jesse Bennett-Chamberlain, Mark Boulton and Donald Peterson. I only wish I could design half as well!
- Site testing and design & user advice: Angela Owen, Andrew, Kathryn and Carolyn Hatfield, and never forgetting the late Alan Hatfield (it's a family affair!). Validation from w3c, Browsershots.