How can God allow evil?
This is a Preview of the full page
The world is full of war, starvation, racial prejudice, death, political dishonesty, etc, etc. How could a good god have created a world that is in such a mess? Doesn’t this indicate that there is no god?
This is generally accepted as the strongest argument against the existence of the christian God. Responding to it raises several questions:
- Is it impossible to have freedom of choice without the possibility of evil?
- Is pain inevitable in a physical world?
- Why are most people happy despite the suffering in the world?
- Where does our moral judgment of suffering come from?
- Even if suffering is an inevitable by-product of good things, couldn't God have limited the extent of evil a little more?
It is hard to escape the feeling that something is wrong with the world, but these questions take a some of the sting out of the argument
Read the full page How can God allow evil?. Otherwise go back to Got questions or to the Preview index.