Why this website?
Our twenty-first century western culture provides many of us with long life expectancy and a high standard of living to enjoy. Why not devote ourselves to maximising our pleasure?
But maybe just pleasing ourselves will not make us as happy as we think? Perhaps life has a higher purpose, that will be more fulfilling to us than living just for ourselves?
The pace and pressures of postmodern life and the nature of postmodern culture leave little time to stop and wonder what it all means. Is there a God? is an attempt to swim against this tide, in the hope that others will join in the discussion and the questions.
So on Is there a God? I attempt to look at the big questions in life – God, right and wrong, science and happiness. I try to properly ‘research’ what I write, and then outline ideas fairly so that you can come to your own informed opinion. There are usually references for further reading.
Of course I have my own views, and these undoubtedly colour my choice of topics and the way they are presented.
Written, designed, coded and © 2006 – 2019 by unkleE, with a lot of help.
My name is Eric Hatfield (aka unkleE) and I live in Sydney, Australia. I have worked in environment protection, studied and read widely in theology, New Testament history, philosophy and some areas of science (cosmology, DNA and neuroscience), and have a keen interest in ethics and beliefs in our 21st century culture. I believe in God, try to follow the way of Jesus, and prefer to connect with people of different beliefs rather than argue with them.
This website was started in 2006 and has been continually updated since then.
With thanks to …
Many of the photographic images are from MorgueFile, some from Flickr Creative Commons. Space images by NASA. Other images are from the US National Science Foundation and other sources credited in the text.
- Blog software by WordPress, Minimum Pro theme by StudioPress (with some customising by unkleE).
- Feedback form by thesitewizard.
- Coded using Taco HTML Edit, hosted by Inmotion and uploaded using Cyberduck.
- Technical advice: Andrew Hatfield, and the helpful communities at WordPress, StudioPress and Tizag forums, and the helpful staff at Exetel and Inmotion.
- Site testing and design & user advice:Andrew, Kathryn and Carolyn Hatfield. Validation from w3c, Browsershots.