Among many of the more militant atheists, there are a number of common claims made about religion. Some are fair, some are not, but they have become as entrenched as dogma. It is refreshing when one of their own argues for a more thoughtful and nuanced view.
So I was impressed when I came across this reasoned discussion by Be Scofield. His five myths often repeated by atheists are:
1. All Religions are the Same and are “Equally Crazy”
2. Atheists are Anti-Religious
3. Religion Causes Bad Behavior
4. Religion Requires a Belief in a Supernatural God
5. Liberal and Moderate Religion Justifies Religious Extremism
I have seen all of those on the internet, but I wouldn’t think all of them were important. For me, 1, 3 & 5 are the important ones and make it difficult to participate in friendly and constructive discussion with those who hold such views. In place of #2 & #4, I’d add ‘2. There is no evidence for God and all religion is based 100% on blind faith’ and ‘4. It’s not possible to believe in a religion and be intelligent, so religious people must be delusional’.
I wonder what myths christians believe about atheists?